Date:
Thu, 24 Sep 1998 14:44:04 -0400
Gary Rosenberg wrote:

> The guidelines for Conch-L do indeed prohibit advertising. However, most
> Internet discussion lists that I know of do not regard giving an address in
> the signature of an email message as advertising. Perhaps this should be
> clarified in the Conch-L guidelines, which can be view at
>
> http://museum.nhm.uga.edu/CONCH-L/CONCH-Lrules.html
>
> Gary
> Gary Rosenberg, Ph.D.                     [log in to unmask]
> Malacology & Invertebrate Paleontology    gopher://erato.acnatsci.org
> Academy of Natural Sciences               http://www.acnatsci.org
> 1900 Benjamin Franklin Parkway            Phone 215-299-1033
> Philadelphia, PA 19103-1195 USA           Fax   215-299-1170

For all those who have ever met the Lipes or been to the Shell Store you
would know that they are shellers, conservationists etc. first.  They
have never as far as I know intentionally "advertised" on Conch-L and
would have been censured long ago if anything was contrary to Conch-L
guidelines.  Visiting their store is an educational experience and they
are always warm and friendly and ready to share their experiences. They
will recommend the best product (only if you ask) not the most expensive
and tell you the best place to get it even if it's not their place.  I
thought that the message attacking them was uncalled for and done
without thought.  Just my two cents.  Michael Huggins of Michael and
Marcie Huggins, Bay Harbor Islands FL.