From:
"Harry G. Lee, MD" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Sep 1998 22:03:14 -0400
Dear Tom,

Have you used Russell (1940)?  It works for me (Abbott doesn't).  Kurt
Auffenberg has the taxonomy down nicely.

He taught me, and I think my collection includes all named W. Atlantic
Neritid species.  I am, moreover, satisfied with the identifications.  Among
West Indian records in the collection are Neritilia succinea from St. Thomas
and from Dominica; Neritina punctulata from Guadeloupe (2 lots), Grenada,
and Tobago; N. piratica from Cuba; and N. clenchi from Dominica.

From what I understand, Montserrat doesn't lay claim to a ecologically
friendly freshwater supply.

Didn't you mean N. usnea (+ reclivata)?

N. virginea, N. piratica, and N. meleagris are not found in (pure) fresh
water (brackish at best).

I wish I could give you a verbal differential on these dianoses, but I would
need more time than I can spare (to reacquaint).  May I send synoptic
samples or photocopy the Russell paper?

Harry

At 08:39 AM 9/28/98 -0400, you wrote:
>Can anyone give me a good way to differentiate Neritina usnea [=reclivata],
>N. clenchi, and N. virginea? Where does N. piratica fit in? The
>characteristics in Abbott (1974) don't seem to hold up to inspection. Also,
>does anyone know of a freshwater Neritina from Montserrat, or literature
>that may help?
>
>*  G Thomas Watters               *
Harry G. Lee
mailto:[log in to unmask]
Suite 500, 1801 Barrs Street
Jacksonville, FL  32204
U. S. A.    904-384-6419
Visit the Jacksonville Shell Club Home Page at:
http://home.sprynet.com/sprynet/wfrank/jacksonv.htm