From:
makuabob <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Oct 1998 09:16:52 -0500
Much is being (and has been) said on the subject of 'hybrids.'
("Well, duuhhh!")

I'm enjoying it plenty since this is the stated object of my
home page and a major factor in focussing my efforts on making
as much 'public domain' information about cowries available, as
possible, to all interested readers.

Consider this added view:
There are fewer "species" than most would imagine, among the cowries
and other genera as well. I strongly suspect that there are stable
'patterns' or 'configurations' in the genetic material of most animals.

For humans, that could easily be demonstrated by setting up enclaves
of recessive traits -- one for fair skin, red hair and green eyes;
another for blonde hair and blue eyes; another for those who can
roll their tongues, etc, ... .

Our penchant for freedom breaks down geographical and ethical barriers.
Unless a genetic incompatibility prevented fertilization in utero,
there could be no speciation for us.

For cowries, Hawaii is a particularly interesting site to study.
The 'endemic' Cypraea sulcidentata is -- my opinion here -- a
localized 'cross' between the local "subspecies" of C. vitellus
and C. schilderorum. These two interbreed regularly and the "F1"
is discernible. However, when it breeds back into either the
schilderorum or sulcidentata group, the progeny cannot reliably
be spotted.

Active, diving collectors of cowries are aware of the 'mated pair'
trait. Two (but sometimes, more) cowries are found close together
because they are mates. On more than a half-dozen occasions, I
have found a schilderorum and a sulcidentata under the same clump
of coral debris, with no other of either species close by (I know,
because I searched the area). The first couple of times I thought
it was just chance but, eventually, I got the point.

This has grown longer than intended. The point is, as Andy Rindsberg
pointed out, Nature works as it does in spite of our opinions.
It is OUR challenge to understand WHAT is happenning in Nature and
not our job to tells Nature what it SHOULD be doing.

Aloha,

makuabob (a.k.a. Bob Dayle)