From:
Phil Liff-Grieff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Nov 1998 00:34:08 +0000
Robert and Betty Lipe wrote:

> Now I see how to get more responses.  Just be NEGATIVE.  Once again I
> will say that I would like to see some of you new members say something.
> Don't just sit there and read.  Say SOMETHING!

Bob,

As a relative newcomer, I rarely feel qualified to enter into the fray.
One time when I ventured on line with very basic questions about
shelling, my inquiries were met with silence.  I don't know if this
means that my questions were too basic (I asked about prefered shelling
containers for diving, where- and how- to collect in Southern
California, how captains of dive boats relate to shellers and
suggestions for diving for shells in Maui and Kauai- three of these four
questions got no response at all), the answers were already available in
archives or if my postings are just too long and tedious for someone to
wade through.  Is there a way to ask to ensure a better response?

 No doubt, there are many others like me with lots of questions and a
deep respect for the collective wisdom represented on this list.  There
are many things that I would like to know and even a few things I might
like to contribute but I feel less inclined to chime in when I feel like
I'm being ignored.

(OK, I'M THROUGH WHINING.)

The positive side for a lurker like myself is that each day provides an
enormous amount of material- some scientific, some humorous, some just
outrageous and some even boring- to pore over, read, delete, or save for
a later time.  The sum total of it all, I think, is that this list has a
real personality that is far from boring.  I may not interested in
everything that is discussed but I am always interested in HOW it is
discussed.

So, keep up the elaborate threads on the definition of species and other
"boring" topics- they help us to stretch and, horror of horrors, even
help us to think a bit about the issues that are behind the shells we
collect.

In closing, I'ld like to repeat a few questions (I know, this is kind of
a set up....)

1)  How do U.S. dive boat captains react to shellers?  Are there general
suggestions for finding boats where shelling is welcome or ways to avoid
those where it is not?

2) What sorts of collecting bags/bottles/etc. do people prefer for
snorkling?  How about for diving?  Why?

3)  Any shelling suggestions for Maui and Kauai?  I plan to visit both
islands in December.

I really, really am interested in any and all responses  (you know,
sharing some of that collective wisdom).  If these questions are all
answered in the CONCH-L archives, e-mail me privately with that info.

Phil Liff-Grieff
La Crescenta, California