From:
Bill Frank <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Dec 1998 19:17:56 -0500
The molluscan population on my favorite shelling beaches has been
decimated by three "beach renourishment" projects within the past
seven years to where a live shell can seldom be found.  However,
these "renourishment" projects are the direct result of commerce and
not for the benefit of tourists.  Each project has been for the express
purpose of maintaining access to the port of Jacksonville with the sand
being dumped on the beaches as a byproduct of dredging the shipping
channel both within the river itself and offshore.

Pumping sand from the ocean bottom a mile offshore seemed to have
less affect than that pumped from the river bottom.  This far, nearly a
mile of beach has received almost eight vertical feet of new sand and
the dredge is pumping even as this is being composed.

Bill Frank
1865 Debutante Dr.
Jacksonville, FL 32246-8645
Phone/FAX: (904) 724-5326
Visit the Jacksonville Shell Club Home Page at:
http://home.sprynet.com/sprynet/wfrank/jacksonv.htm