From:
Sarah Watson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Dec 1998 20:06:58 EST
The problem with people inhabiting and developing these barrier islands is
that Barrier islands migrate. Its a natural phenomena. Maryland recently spent
something like 20 mil to replenish the beach at Ocean City just to have all of
it destroyed by the series of Nor'easters last winter. I was reading about the
history of Fenwick island (the Maryland side is where Ocean City is) and it
used to be part of the Assategue/Chincotegue chain. During a hurricane in the
30's, a break was formed in the island causing an inlet. The army corps of
engineers quickly went out and jettied it up so there would be a be an opening
from the bay side directly to the ocean closer in rather than 65 miles to the
South. Every year Assategue Island which is not braced, migrates an average of
35 ft.  The problem with the beach replenishment is that after a few storms,
all the money that was spent to pump up sand on the beach has been wasted
because it all went back into the ocean. I frankly don't collect live animals
because I don't want to deal with the mess (and guilt *grin*) but because of
the efforts to pump more sand, all shells are virtually impossible to find
along the Deleware/Maryland Coast. In all my life (almost 19) I have never
found more than a broken scallop, a few old surf clams (rare) and an oyster or
two. I have NEVER found anything alive except for the occasional donax group.
This may also be because I am too afraid to go out more than 10 yards because
of the nasty current and drop off. Whenever I do go to Rehoboth or Ocean City
(yuck) and there was a squirt of sand, I never find anything. The donax are
gone and there is nothing except garbage that has floated up.
I frankly wish the government would spend more money on Cleaning up the water,
Beach, etc., rather than spend so much money to suck up sand and God knows
what else on to the beach. I know people that sometimes will get a few good
shells on the beach up here, but that is because they live there (lucky ducks)
but the only 'good' thing I have ever found was a little pink plastic bucket
that some kid lost and it floated up.
OK back to work!
Sarah Watson

PS  Thanks to all who responded to my earlier question. You guys helped me out
a lot.