From:
Tim Pearce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Jan 1999 09:14:35 -0500
Dear Jeff,
   There was an outfit in San Diego that would sell Helix aspersa (one
of the edible land snails) for about 25 cents each back in the mid
1980s. I don't know who they were. Another place you might inquire is
Carolina Biological Supply. Depending on where you live, and what size
of land snail you want, you might be able to collect them from your
area. That would be preferable: see below.
   I want to warn about transporting land snails around the country (and
world). Terrible environmental and agricultural problems have resulted
from both accidental and intentional introductions of land snails from
one part of the world to another. I understand that the Australian wheat
crop has been destroyed by an introduced snail that climbs the wheat
stalk and then gums up the harvesters, so the wheat can't be harvested
(I understand that Australia has become a net importer of wheat, but
only a few years ago it was a net exporter). A carnivorous land snail
introduced to Pacific Islands to control the Giant African snail (also
introduced) has failed to control the giant African snail, but instead,
the carnivorous snail finds the endemic (living only there) snails to be
tasty, and at least half a dozen extinctions (and the number is
climbing) are directly attributable to the carnivorous snail. The horror
stories could go on.
   Because of the potential agricultural and environmental problems
associated with introduced land snails, there are governmental
regulations regarding their transport across both state and
international boundaries. Check with your local government before you
have snails shipped to you.
   If you do obtain snails that don't live in your local area, you must
destroy the snails when you are finished with your project. You may NOT
release them to the wild.
   I think the best solution to obtaining land snails for a class
project is to have the students help collect the land snails from the
local area, and then to do the project on those snails. Please contact
me if you would like advice about where you might find snails locally.
   I love land snails and I want to encourage others to study land
snails. I also want to keep our environment as healthy as possible.
   Sincerely,   -Tim-

Timothy A. Pearce, Ph.D., Curator of Mollusks
Delaware Museum of Natural History
Box 3937, 4840 Kennett Pike       302-658-9111 x319
Wilmington, DE 19807-0937, USA    [log in to unmask]