From:
Sharon Hawkins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Jan 1999 15:01:49 +1000
* Overfishing of shells for curios

Is anyone of the group knowledgable about the topic of overfishing of
shells in regions such as East Africa, India, Thailand, and Sri Lanka?

I am looking for a few opinionated people to add their knowledge, quotes,
and opinions to an article that I am writing about this topic.

Do you believe that general tourists should buy shells as souvenirs? They
have not the experience of those on the group to know whether they are
buying rare species.

Most of the shells are not admired in their natural state but made into
handicrafts? Opinions and advice to tourists?

Thanks,
Sharon Hawkins