From:
John Jacobs <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Jan 1999 09:03:49 -0000
Hi James,

         While the photo in Compendium doesn't quite match, don't be
surprised by this.  Almost any given species of Conus is variable in
pattern.  My color picture in "Shells of Hawai'i" by Kay & Schoenberg-Dole
matches your description of your specimen.  The photo in "Hawaiian Marine
Shells" by Kay also matches your description.  Here is the verbatim
description from Kay's book:
         Length 40mm; diameter 22mm.  Shell: shoulder smooth and rounded;
last whorl thick and solid; reticulated with orange-brown interrupted by
large and small triangular white marks.  Spire: elevated, acuminate.
Sculpture: spire striate; last whorl axially striate becoming grooved at the
base.  Aperture: with almost parallel sides.  Color: orange and brown with
large and small triangular white markings arranged as scales, and axial
bands of chocolate and orange which are usually interrupted forming two
transverse bands; apex pink; aperture white or pale pink.  Periostracum
thin, pale yellow, translucent.

Hope this helps.
John