From:
Paul Monfils <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 30 Jan 1999 21:03:56 -0500
Hello Fred and all,
Fred, I have looked at the microscopes pictured on your site.  Since
microscopes are a large part of my daily work, and I have extensive
experience with several kinds, I thought I should offer a few
comments.  The scopes you pictured are good quality compound
microscopes, as might be used in a high school or introductory
college biology class.  Your prices are very fair indeed, in fact
real bargains, and anyone looking for a microscope of this type might
do well to invest in one of these.  However - for the examination of
shells or other fairly large (over 1 mm) opaque objects, this type of
microscope is not very useful, for a number or reasons.  Some time ago
I posted a couple of articles on Conch-L, describing the different
types of microscopes and their application to shell work.  I will
re-post those articles, for the benefit of anyone thinking of
purchasing a microscope at this time.
Regards,
Paul Monfils