From:
Charles Sturm <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Feb 1999 00:36:17 -0500
Sylvia,
  If cataloging all those shells would cause someone to become
schizophrenic, is there much hope for most of us? :-)  Actually, there was
a paper published in the 1940's on having people with certain psychiatric
disorders start shell collecting as part of their treatment.  I believe it
had something to do with the discipline of organizing and cataloging the
collection to help them bring some order to thier lives.

  As for the National Geographics, having both the journals and the
CD-ROMs has its advantages.  The CD's allows one to search quickly and
accurately, but nothing will replace the pleasure of holding the magazine
and flipping through the pages.  I have both and would not give either one
up.

Charlie
Charlie Sturm, Jr
Research Associate - Section of Invertebrate Zoology
                     Carnegie Museum of Natural History
Assistant Professor - Family Medicine