From:
Tom Eichhorst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Feb 1999 09:27:55 -0700
Don & Patti,

Thanks, Don for the added information and, Patti, I second your
question.  This is the kind of natural history we are missing on so many
mollusks because long term observation is a bit complex if not downright
impossible.  Shell books typically have little natural history beyond
discussions of the radular teeth characteristics and the shape and
texture of the operculum.  It is amazing how much information we don't
have.  A while back there were discussions about longevity in mollusks
and there were few real answers.  How old is the typical adult Lambis or
(pick your genus)?  Do they mate and lay eggs a number of times?  Over a
number of years?  How far does (again, pick your genus) range after
settling out of the veliger stage?

I read Vermeij's book, "A Natural History of Shells," hoping for some of
this and while he has some great stuff on shell mechanics, predation,
defense, and the forces behind natural selection -- there is much more
out there to be learned.  Every time I read or hear about a particular
shell or group of shells in a particular circumstance, I wonder why?
Why are they in a herd (like Patti asks, feeding, breeding..)?  Does
anyone have or know of a book that addresses any of this?  Something
beyond Vermeiji or Dr Gary Rosenberg's excellent introduction to
mollusks in "The Encyclopedia of Seashells," or some very interesting
articles by Dr. Harry Lee.  All three of these writers have gone a
little beyond taxonomy (the normal limit of a shell book) and I have
enjoyed reading each of them.  Is there more?

Tom Eichhorst in New Mexico, USA