From:
Amy Lyn Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Feb 1998 15:13:46 -0500
Email programs can be (and have been) configured to automatically launch
other programs to read attached files, embedded information, or go to a
URL.  Some people considers these to be features; however they can allow a
virus to have access to your computer through your email program.

Macro viruses can infect computers running any version of MS  6.0 or later;
or any other program that is designed to automatically run a macro (a small
set of program code) without asking you if that is what you wanted to do.
If you have your email reading program set to use or launch a Word document
you could be at risk.  See: http://ciac.llnl.gov/ciac/bulletins/i-023.shtml

For software to stop a virus it needs to be running before the virus is
encountered.  Products that are  launched at start-up and run in the
background all the time should catch viruses as they appear.  Others virus
protection programs are designed to only work with specific programs; they
will not protect you when you are using some other program.

For you PC users, Windows versions of virus protection may not protect you
while you are using a DOS program.

Also, an old version of a virus protection software will not protect you
from new viruses.  And new viruses are being made every day.  See:
http://www.drsolomon.com/vircen/stats.cfm

These other sites are much better places to get good information on current
viruses and how to protect your computer from them:
 http://www.drsolomon.com/vircen/ Dr. Solomon's Virus Central
http://www.datafellows.com/vir-info/ DataFellows Virus Information Center
http://www.stiller.com/ Stiller Research Virus Information
http://www.virusbtn.com/ Virus Bulletin Home Page
http://www.virusbtn.com/WildLists/ Joe Well's Wild Lists - Viruses in the wild.
http://csrc.nist.gov/virus/ NIST Virus Information Page
http://www.mcafee.com McAfee Virus Pages
http://www.sophos.com/Virus/virus.html Sophos Virus Information Page
http://www.sevenlocks.com Seven Locks Software
http://www.cheyenne.com/security/avirus.html Cheyenne Security Center
http://www.antivirus.com/vinfo/vinfo.html Trend Micro Virus Encyclopedia
http://www.avp.ch/avpve AVP Virus Encyclopedia

Amy

>Now a question for the computer experts - is it possible to design an
>e-mail that automatically downloads something when the e-mail is
>opened?  I don't think so, but I have heard some conflicting remarks
>on this.
>Paul M.
>
>Hi Paul,
>
>As far as I know, a user will always be asked for permision to save a file
>or open a file on his/her system. E-mail can only suply you with a link to
>some program you can download. At least I've NEVER seen an e-mail that
>automaticaly downloads a file.
>
>I hope I was of any help...
>
>Erwin
>
>(hehehe, just 3 mailadresses...)

Amy Edwards, Program Coordinator ------ [log in to unmask]

Museum of Natural History        --------        phone (706) 542-4137
University of Georgia            --------            FAX 706-542-3920
Athens, GA 30602-1882       --------       http://museum.nhm.uga.edu/
"A man's mind, stretched by new ideas, can never go back to its original
dimensions."             Oliver Wendell Holmes