From:
Kevin Lamprell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Feb 1999 06:54:27 +1000
I would like to have my say in the naming of shells discussion.

James
There is no reason why a non professional cannot name a species but as
Patty Jansen says you must be prepared to lodge the type material (a
holotype and at least 1 paratype) with a suitable institution.
You must also be sure without a doubt that the species will be valid, as
Art says the literature is full of synonymous names, to do this you must
have access to a large library and collection with loan facilities and
support, without these you cannot be sure that your species is unique.
There is also a good rule to go by, your "new" species should have at
least 3 distinct features which separate it from any similar species,
which you must describe in your paper along with comparisons of other
species.
Last but not least make sure you publish in a reputable scientific
journal where it will be sent to at least 2 referees for comment prior
to publishing.

Kev