From:
Paul Monfils <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Mar 1999 11:19:50 -0500
Not on the specific subject of mollusks, but on the related subject of
taxonomy - a small article in our local paper this morning - the Texas
Audubon Society is holding an auction today.  What is being put up for
bids is the right to have a newly discovered species of Brazilian bird
named after yourself (or after anyone of your choosing).  The required
opening bid is $200,000.00.  The proceeds will go to bird conservation
projects.  How do our taxonomists feel about this new twist on naming
of species?
Paul Monfils
Rhode Island, U.S.A.
"Think how much deeper the ocean would be if sponges didn't live
there"