From:
Patty Jansen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Mar 1999 11:47:02 +1100
Dear Andrew (and others),

There are two articles on the Australian Liotinae (and other unrelated flat
shells):

1. Revision of the Liotiidae of new South Wales - by Charles Laseron in
Australian Zoologist, vol. 12 (1953), p. 1 - 25

2. Liotiidae and allied molluscs from the Dampierian zoogeographical
province - by Charles Laseron . Records of the Australian Museum 24 (1958),
165 - 182

As you can see both are pretty ancient, but that is all there is. Neither
mentions discoidea, but I my collection I have three lots of Pseudoliotia
discoidea. The label says Reeve, 1843. I presume I identified these at the
Australian Museum. And note that the family Liotiidae no longer exists, as
it is considered a subfamily of the Turbinidae. To make matters worse,
Pseudoliotia is in the Vitrinellidae (a dumping ground for small flat white
shells that have been removed from other families).

Barry Wilson's books are very good, but absolutely hopeless for anything
under 10 mm, and there is no alternative. Mind you, many of those small
species from northern Australia haven't even been named.

Patty

WWW: http://www.capricornica.com

Capricornica Publications               on-line natural history bookshop
P.O. Box 345
Lindfield NSW 2070

phone/fax: 02 9415 8098 international: +61 2 9415 8098

E-mail: [log in to unmask]