From:
Bill Fenzan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Mar 1999 10:00:12 -0500
Dear Paul,

I recently bought a set of four shells labelled as B. tuberosissima  that
were part  of an 'old collection'.  Data said shells were from the
Philppines.  One shell has a white aperture characteristic of B. leo, but
otherwise appears identical to the other shells in the lot.

Dr. Alan Beu in his new (1998) book "Indo-West Pacific Ranellidae, Bursidae
and Personidae (Mollusca: Gastropoda): A monograph of the New Caledonian
fauna and revisions of related taxa " notes in his comments on page 166
(under the section on Bursa rosa)  that the types of B. siphonata "...are
specimens of the leo (Shikama, 1964) form of Bursa tuberosissima, as is
shown by their white aperture with sparse pllicae on the inner lip, and
their grey-brown spiral cords on a paler background."  This indicates that
Dr. Beu believes B. leo is only a form of B. tuberossima.

Hope this info helps.  Please let me know if you get any more comment on
your posting, unless you plan on summarizing what you get for a CONCH-L
posting.

Warm regards,
Bill Fenzan
Norfolk, Virginia, USA