From:
Lynn Scheu <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Mar 1999 19:08:14 -0500
Hi Greg,

Welcome to Conch-L. We are so pleased to have you among us. It is
especially for people like you, landlocked and away from the majority of
shell collectors who do tend to cluster around the coastlines for some
reason, that we started Conch-L. We hope you enjoy being here as much as
most of us do. And enjoy the flying pigs as much as the shell and taxonomy
talk.  We have our moods and moments but all in all this is a great place
to be!

(she steps up on the oyster crate..)

Also, you might want to consider coming to the COA (Conchologists of
America) convention this year.  It will be held in Derby City, Louisville
KY, where you can come and meet a lot of other shellers, landlocked and
waterlogged alike,  view and/or enter a fabulous competitive "Shell Derby"
shell show, participate in a lot of interesting events and hear some of the
best shell talks you could imagine. Get your contenders for the World
Record Size Registry measured by its author Kim Hutsell, or just have a
look at the world record size specimens that will be on display!

You will also get to see in real time some of the people you will be
meeting here on Conch-L. We have a special night for a Conch-L party so we
can get together and get to know each other as people and not just fancy
signatures. And a fair number of your Conch-L peers will be presenting
programs.  Harry Lee,  Jose Leal,  Gary Rosenberg, Doug Shelton, Ross
Gundersen, Paul Monfils, Paul Callomon, Peggy Williams, Bob Lipe, Tom
Watters, Bruce Neville,  Kevin Cummings, and I hear that Hank Chaney is in
for 2!   I'm sure I have forgotten some of us, having put this list
together from what notes were lying around on my desk.  But Art Weil tells
me that there is a chance that the Pigs will also do a fly by, (wear hats,
don't look up) and if they pull a no-show, you can speak to Art about them
in person.
Art and the Flying Pigs hail from just up the river in Porcopolis
(Cincinnati).

We have field trips, river boat rides, parties, meetings, raffles,
exhibits.  Plus, this year, we are featuring low prices!  And most exciting
of all, we have shells. There will be a really special bid auction of all
kinds of fantastic shells, and there will be a huge silent (or table)
auction where you can add to your collection.  (Just ask Scott Jordan how
he did last year!) This year we are heavy on cones, cowries, pectens and a
lovely selection of latiaxis. Tons of other things  will be available too.
Including shell books and a shell coffee table by Dave Kempfer (raffle --
see Gene Everson for tickets)  and a Celtic Harp being crafted by one of
our Conch-L members, Ross Gundersen.   And if that is not enough, there is
the apex of the week, the Grand, the Fabulous COA Bourse. There'll be an
entire ballroom filled with our fabulous shell dealers and their wares. You
have to see it to believe it. And what a chance to meet them all!

All will be drawn up in a bow by the closing Banquet for which Dr Emily
Vokes, world reknowned murex expert from Tulane University, will come out
of retirement to be our honored banquet speaker.

Everyone is welcome at the convention, just as they are welcome on Conch-L.
 You don't have to be a member of COA to participate in either activity.
Though, as has been mentioned recently, we would welcome you to the ranks
of COA as well.

And if you can't make it this year, start planning now for COA 2000 in
Houston, TX.

Lynn Scheu
Louisville, KY (You guessed it...I'm on the convention committee!)