From:
Bronwen Scott <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Mar 1999 09:55:30 +1000
On Thursday, March 18, 1999 at 8:50:30 am VUT,
"Lynn Scheu" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>First today there is the message that prompted Glenn's note and now this
>piece of contorted hate mail from Glenn.

Folks, please calm down!  There was no "contorted hate mail" from anyone.
Read it again.  As far as I can tell what he's saying is that everyone's got
different opinions and interests, and sometimes these are not going to have
universal appeal.  And so if we stop one thread because it doesn't interest
EVERYONE, then which threads will be next?  Remember how many e-mails the
computer stuff generated?  There were probably people who weren't interested
in that (me included), but, as Glenn points out, all it took was a quick
punch of the delete button to get rid of it.  Same with the Homo sapiens
thread (which I did find interesting).  And Art's flying pigs.  I believe
this is an unmoderated list - and should remain so.  Okay, your mailbox fills
up, sometimes with messages that don't necessarily interest you, but that's
easily dealt with.
I iterate Glenn's comment that we should also use the private addresses more
frequently, especially for personal messages.  I'd also ask that the subject
line on each message is made more informative, so it's easier to see whether
the messge is likely to be interesting or not (mind you, I read everything,
so it doesn't really matter to me).

Here's Glenn's message again, so you can peruse it at leisure.

 "I have not seen any messages on conch-l that are of interest to everyone
and
it only takes a quick punch to get rid of what you dont want. If collectors
can not do there thing because they are too much trouble for others we could
stop them then who do we get next. The computer people, the Homos or the
flying pig. I dont mind punching out things that are of no interest to me
because I know someone out there is getting some good out of it. For sure we
should use private e-mail as much as possable.  GLENN TOLMAN HOUSTON TEXAS"

Bronwen
Melbourne, Victoria