From:
"Harry G. Lee, MD" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Feb 1998 17:01:45 -0500
Gentlemen,

Bufonaria bufo is common off Jacksonville (FL), and I am not surprised by
Doug's and Emilio's records.  Let's see if the Panama City (FL) people got
some as scallop fishery bycatch.

Emilio points out the confsion between Bufonaria bufo (Bruguiere, 1792), a
synonym of which is Bufonaria spadicea (Montfort, 1810), which occurs from
NC to Brasil and the Indo-Pacific Tutufa bufo (Roding, 1798).  The
confounding but proper resurrection of the Roding name from junior homonymy
illustrates the point made by Gary Rosenberg in his Am. Conch. 25(3): 28-29
(9/97) paper "What's the good name?" on the matter of generic reassignment
and secondary junior homonymy.

Harry

At 08:52 AM 2/14/98 -0600, you wrote:
>>Russ,
>>      It is great to hear from you.  I hope we actually meet one day.  The
>>list is an attached file in Word Perfect 6.0.  Let me know if you have any
>>problems.  I stand by the list with one exception:  Bursa bufo is extremely
>>out of its known range.  The record I have is very old and even though I have
>>vouvhers and consider my source reliable I still consider that record
>>questionable.  Other records I am comfortable with.  Most are verifiable.
>>Vouchers are in my collection (AMRC Collection, the collections of Dr. Thomas
>>S.Hopkins) and /or in existing literature.
>>
>>Doug Shelton
>>Alabama Malacological Research Center
>>2370-G Hillcrest Road #236
>>Mobile, AL 36695
>
><Bursa> bufo is a common Gulf of Mexico species. The confusion is with the
>genera: Tutufa bufo is a western Pacific species but Bufonaria bufo is a
>very common Gulf of Mexico and Caribbean species. I do have some from off
>Daulphine Island, Alabama.
>
>Emilio F. Garcia
>115 Oak Crest Dr.
>Lafayette, LA 70503