Date:
Thu, 25 Mar 1999 13:23:47 -0500
Thomas E. Eichhorst wrote:

> Emilio,
>
> Read the conch story Michael referenced and you will see that, yes
> people do just that ("meat pulling").  I have encountered more than one
> person who would gladly capture and sell the last breeding pair of
> whatever rare species you want to name, just for the money.
> Unfortunately, I do not believe collecting pressure is the villain in
> the decline of Strombus gigas, the queen or pink conch.  Every bit of
> evidence (admittedly anecdotal) points to loss of habitat.  But still I
> am ready to believe there are folks who would collect every single pink
> conch out of a bay, knowing the illegality of the act.

Hello!

Hi,

Well I suppose that Michael is not the only one with the distrust trait.

I live in Florida, I used to collect Strombus to use the meat for
Bonefish bait, when it was legal.

What I asked was not answered. Who? Where? How?

Just because you suspect, think of etc etc does not mean it is a common
occurrence. Even you state "But still I am ready to believe there are
folks who would collect every single pink conch out of a bay, knowing
the illegality of the act."

Remember it is the lousy water quality and the ensuing ecological
changes in Florida Bay that is a MAJOR factor in the demise of the
Conch.

Later,

Emilio Jorge Power