From:
Don Barclay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Apr 1999 08:33:30 -1100
Nah, just had visitors for the past week and too busy to do much.  I
got the rocks for the aquarium, still getting it all set up.  Also caught
a textile, an omaria, an episcopatus, and a little bandanus this week,
but only kept the textile alive.  I'll have to go catch some more when
the tank is completely ready.

I also witnessed something pretty strange.  With the cones poured
out onto the grass, a nassarius glans was out crawling across in
front of the cones.  Only the conus omaria seemed to know he was
there, and "sniffed him out" in the air!!!  He chased down the nassarius,
and wrapped his proboscis around him and harpooned him.  You
could see the poison squirt, and the nassarius flinched and started
wiggling around rapidly.  I figured he was about to be eaten, but the
omaria wasn't through.  He repositioned himself, and stung the little
nassarius again, with the same results.  What was surprising was
that the nassarius didn't seem particularly affected by the poison,
and was out crawling around like nothing happened the next day!
Is it possible that these guys are immune to the toxin, was the omaria
having a low-toxicity day, or are the paralytic results temporary if the
victim doesn't get eaten, or what????

Puzzled in Pago Pago,

Don