From:
Amy Lyn Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Apr 1999 14:22:14 -0500
Cone toxins are very specific.  Some toxins work on worms others work on
snails or fish.
It could be that this particular cone does not feed on snails and so the
toxin will not work on snails.  Or it could be that it will only work on
certain snails and not others.
Amy

>I also witnessed something pretty strange.  With the cones poured
>out onto the grass, a nassarius glans was out crawling across in
>front of the cones.  Only the conus omaria seemed to know he was
>there, and "sniffed him out" in the air!!!  He chased down the nassarius,
>and wrapped his proboscis around him and harpooned him.  You
>could see the poison squirt, and the nassarius flinched and started
>wiggling around rapidly.  I figured he was about to be eaten, but the
>omaria wasn't through.  He repositioned himself, and stung the little
>nassarius again, with the same results.  What was surprising was
>that the nassarius didn't seem particularly affected by the poison,
>and was out crawling around like nothing happened the next day!
>Is it possible that these guys are immune to the toxin, was the omaria
>having a low-toxicity day, or are the paralytic results temporary if the
>victim doesn't get eaten, or what????
>
>Puzzled in Pago Pago,
>

>Don
>
>----------
>> From: Thomas E. Eichhorst <[log in to unmask]>
>> To: [log in to unmask]
>> Subject: Re: Internet HSN April Issue
>> Date: Wednesday, March 31, 1999 8:01 PM
>>
>> This is for Don Barclay,
>>
>> I'm using Conch-L because I think others will also want to know what
>> happened.  We haven't heard from you in a while.  Was the cone battle
>> too vicious?  Actually, I really am curious about the cones in the
>> tank.  Did you get it set up and who won?
>>
>> Tom Eichhorst in New Mexico, USA

Amy Edwards, Program Coordinator ------ [log in to unmask]

Museum of Natural History        --------        phone (706) 542-4137
University of Georgia            --------            FAX 706-542-3920
Athens, GA 30602-1882       --------       http://museum.nhm.uga.edu/
"A man's mind, stretched by new ideas, can never go back to its original
dimensions."             Oliver Wendell Holmes