From:
Don Barclay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Apr 1999 02:41:11 -1100
Hi Amy and all,

That's certainly true.  I've seen different species of cones eating
different things, and each species seems to have its own preferences.
What surprised me was the apparent recognition of the nassarius
as proper prey, if in fact the toxin wasn't effective on it.  (It also
surprised me that the cone could find the nassarius by sniffing
the air.  Any slime trail was a centimeter or so in front of the cone.)

I suppose that wasting effort chasing prey that you aren't equipped to
handle might not be a fatal habit, but it really doesn't fit the economy
that you see practiced by most of the animals on the reef.

Cheers,

Don