From:
Bill Fenzan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Apr 1999 19:56:22 -0400
Tom and John,

There is an expanation of the Conus pramparti (Richard) identification in
Hawaiian Shell News, November 1979, page 3.

Briefly summarized: Conus pramparti circulated on dealers lists and among
collectors in the late 70's when shells that appeared to differ from Conus
gubernator started becoming available.  It was said George Richard of the
Paris museum had described it or was about to.

Bob da Motta checked with Dr. Richard and learned he did not name the shell,
so da Motta did.  The name Conus leehmani was proposed by da Motta and
Rockel in La Conchiglia, May-June 1979 (on page 17).  All this occurred
after Wall's cone book was published in 1977, which may explain why this
info is not "out there".

The Manual of Living Conidae by (Rockel and others) lists Conus leehmani as
a synonym of Conus gubernator despite the fact that C. leehmani was compared
to C. gubernator in the original description of C. leehmani.  The confusion
about the C. pramparti name is not discussed in the Manual.

Hope this info clarifies things.

Bill Fenzan
Norfolk, Virgina, USA