From:
Jasna Peternel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 May 1999 13:56:31 +0200
Hi,

Last week was doing some geological research near Slovenian /Austrian border.
It was is in the montain area which is not very populated.When returning to the
valley
police jeep blocked the road.They wanted me to show papers,they also checked
my baggage,which is not usual practise.I was wondering why and they told me
someone reported that a stranger (me) is probably smuggling Albanian refugees
over the border.I told them I'm a geologist and to proove it,I showed them my
maps and compass.After they saw the maps,I became even more suspicious.They let
me go me after an hour.
Two days later I met a forester.After a short talk he warned me that police is
looking for me.Few hors later  they found me and I was told someone reported
that I probably smuggle drugs over the border.They checked my car and found an
injection on the front seat.I use it for splashing an acid over rocks.Again it
took more than half an hour to explain them everything.
An area where I worked is almost unpopulated and every stranger is suspicious
to the local farmers,because in the past (before Yugoslavia split apart) people
were re illegaly passing the border
That's my experience.
Best regards,Milan.