From:
"Harry G. Lee" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Jun 1999 07:23:21 -0400
Dear L'ers,

We FW collectors stand in awe of Isaac Lea (1792-1886), who provided us
with no less than 75 names for various manifestations of Elliptio
complanata (Lightfoot, 1786).  Other authorities combined for only 20 more
(total synonyms about 95).  This may prove a bit on the "lumpy" side once
the gel-jockies provide molecular taxonomic insights, but you may see this
testimony to redundancy in Johnson, R. I., 1970  The systematics and
zoogeography of the Unionidae (Mollusca: Bivalvia) of the southern Atlantic
slpe region. Bull. Mus. Comp. Zool. 140 (6): 263-449. Nov. 27.

Harry

At 11:29 PM 6/1/99 -0400, you wrote:
>Maybe Conus mediterraneus?  Cone people like naming cones a lot, and they
>ARE so variable.
>
>Lynn Scheu

>>Dear Kurt and all,
>>  I wouldn't be surprised if the mollusk with the most named wasn't either
>>Flexopecten glaber or Aequipecten opercularis. There are synonyms up to ying
>>yang for both of  them and expecially after Msr. Locard got through naming
>>color forms. One day I will count them all, but if there are less than fifty
>>names for each species I would be surprised.
>>          Carole M
>>           Lake Worth, Fl.

Harry G. Lee
Suite 500
1801 Barrs St.
Jacksonville, Fl. 32204
USA   904-384-6419
Visit the Jacksonville Shell Club Home Page at:
http://home.sprynet.com/sprynet/wfrank/jacksonv.htm