Date:
Thu, 3 Jun 1999 21:43:52 EDT

Doug, Kurt & all:
    Much of what I've learned the past 20+ yrs is not found in textbooks.
I've learned a great deal in the field, and in the "lab".   Although I read a
lot, I question many things because they don't seem right.  When the
opportunity came to ask someone in the same field who knew more than I, it
was right to question some things.
    For instance, there was a popular article in a state DNR-type magazine
that said "some unionids had the ability to float to the surface, and then to
a new location".  A floating unionid is a dead unionid.
     Because scientific articles are shortened, and thus often leave out
important information, I also collect unionid thesis/dissertations, as well
as the publication.  No wonder my library is busting at the seams.
     A federal agency person told me I didn't need to write peripheral
information about a project.  I replied that I intended to say everything I
wanted to say because if I didn't write it who was going to make the "natural
history" comments, and after I was done, the agency could do anything they
liked (shorten the report).
      I'm also bothered when grad students have faculty on their committees
who don't really have enough knowledge about the student's research subject,
and consequently the proper questions are never asked.
Marian E Havlik
Malacological Consultants
1603 Mississippi Street
La Crosse, WI 54601-4969