From:
Date:
Mon, 21 Jun 1999 15:01:47 -0600
April,

And anyone else who downloaded this "Happy99" file.  As long as you
delete it without, I repeat, without activating it you are okay.  If you
just deleted without using "shift/delete" you might want to empty your
trash bin to really get rid of it (make sure there is nothing else in
there you want).  If you click on the icon you will get a little screen
with fireworks and the words "Happy 1999."  Or something like that, I
can't remember exactly as I got this thing when it was brand new from a
friend I trusted (he, like our new member Don had no idea he was
infected).

So if you haven't seen the fireworks, you are in the clear.  An easy way
to check is to send yourself an e-mail.  If you only get the one you
sent, no problemo...  If you get an extra one with an attachment,
oops...

A final bit of preaching.  I send and receive a lot of attachments
(mostly images of shells) and the reason I got infected is I failed to
follow the advice I am about to give you.  Forgo that pretty cypraea and
instead buy a Norton or McAfee antivirus program (or others like
PCcillin, etc, I just like those two).  Once you have one of these
programs installed, all you have to do is click on the file in question
with the RIGHT mouse button, select "virus scan," and you will know in a
couple of seconds if the file is questionable or not.  I used to do this
only when someone I didn't know sent the file -- now I virus check every
attached, executable file (those with .exe at the end) I download.

Good luck (and I did mention shells)

Tom Eichhorst in New Mexico (where we worry more about hantavrus -- this
year so far with a 75% mortality rate)