From:
Guido Poppe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Jul 1999 11:48:52 +0000
Yes, both messages on the subject are correct, and I fully agree. Now, it
is my opinion most of the shells in Rice have been sold one day at that
price, but it may be twenty years ago.
It is for this reason that we tried to make the Poppe & Senders catalogue,
written 1993, published 1994, and already many of the prices are no longer
correct at all. Why there was no second edition ? We sold only 400 copies,
and the printing cost of the 1000 copies was higher than the selling
result, so Cossignani did not splendid affairs. Why did he only sell 400 ?
Because many people in shells prefer to see low prices instead of the
reality, I guess.
So, a two-year upgrade was not possible.
The second paragraph of Frank explains the true rules: offer and demand
will put the price on a shell as prime factor.
And to get a top quality reference guide one needs two-year upgrades, and
forget about the older prices. Examples are:
all the "Russian shells" in fairly good numbers on the market in 1990 -
these are all the Saya de Malha material, but also many Arctic and
Antarctic species - cheap at that time they will have tripled or more by
now.  Some Pleurotomaria went downwards very strong, ex. gotoi, vicdani
etc... But many cowries have doubled, because more demand. Costellaria and
Mitra now have a rush, and no material is available etc...

Guido

>I agree with Tom a misprint is likely. Also as likely is that they were sent
>to a dealer mislabeled. As dealer I am often at the mercy of my suppliers. I
>cannot be an expert in all families and although I have a very good library,
>many families are poorly represented in print or photo.
>
>If you are going to buy, sell or trade shells, then getting a new copy of
>Rice's prices is a must every year. No Tom did not pay me to say that, but I
>can tell you I have seen the prices on some shells drop hundreds in one year
>and I have seen the prices raise (not as much) considerable in the same year.
>Remember this is truly a supply and demand commodity. That is why the prices
>sometimes don't make sense. If everyone wants one, even if available, it will
>keep the price up and if it is extremely rare, but there are few takers, the
>price (under the circumstances) will seem fairly reasonable.
>
>PS I keep all my old copies of Rice's and it's interesting some times to do a
>search on a certain shell.
>
>Frank Walker
>Gems From The Sea
>72 Peltier Street, Marlborough, MA 01752 USA
>BUY - SELL - TRADE - Gift Certificates Available
>"Quality Specimen Sea Shells & Shell Crafts"
>(508) 481-7491; Fax: (508) 624-9778; out-of- state 1-800-497-3601
>E-mail: [log in to unmask]   Web Site: http://www.shellgems.com
>We accept ALL major credit cards!

Visit Conchology, with over 50000 names with author, 3800 indicated type
species, 5000 conchological images, and fun with shells.
http://www.conchology.uunethost.be/
For Information on A Conchological Iconography
http://www.conchology.uunethost.be/go/iconography/index.html