From:
John Wolff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Jul 1999 13:29:46 -0400
Tom, Paul, John, and Brooke, et al

>Another problem is that I would swear both of the generalized books I
>use (Eisinberg's "Collector's Guide to Seashells of the World" and
>Abbott & Dance's "Compendium of Seashells") illustrate the typical C.
>microphylus and then right next to it a variation that looks to me like
>C. pinchinati and not a red or cream colored C. microphylus.
>Unfortunately I do not yet have the murex specific books -- so I'll have
>to check a friend's library.
>Tom Eichhorst in New Mexico, USA

OK, Tom. The first problem (which was an eye-opener for me some years ago)
is that all the books and scientific papers have errors. Even the
"specialized" ones. Just plain errors of identification or errors of
synonymy (they use a synonym, not the "correct" earliest name--which may be
a lesser sin.)

This drove me to make up databases of "correct" names for some families to
the best of my ability. Emily Vokes helped me a great deal on Muricidae.

Emily sez that the illustration of "microphyllus" in the Compendium is
strigatus (which is the "correct" name for penchinati. The illustration to
the left of it is torrefactus.

John Wolff
2640 Breezewood Dr.
Lancaster, PA 17601, U.S.A.