From:
shelloak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Aug 1999 12:55:58 -0500
My good Friends:  I have a problem.  In the olden Roman times were all the
Latin words used then the same as they are today?  My problem comes from
the name given to a small Cypraea which Linne named Cypraea moneta, I guess
because the natives used this shell for money.  BUT in the old Roman Latin
it was not used to describe money,  Moneta was the name of the temple of
the God Juno, much later after this temple was built, the Romas used the
temple to mint the first coins of that era.  Nowhere can I find that the
Romans called their coins moneta, maybe I am not reading the correct books,
so could any of you solve this problem for me?   John Bernard   Crossville,
Tennessee