From:
Andrew Grebneff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Aug 1999 09:11:25 +1200
I have been trying to find out a method for photography of fossil shells
under UV light.

Many fossil shells, some as old as Triassic and Permian, show visible color
patterns. Using UV lights, I have checked my own and the collection of
Otago University Geology Dept for specimens fluorescing, and found many.
More often than not no pattern was visible in normal light. Turritella and
"Turrids" were conspicuous here, especially middle Eocene Surculites and
"Zemacies", with striking axial pattern similar to Conus princeps.
magnatica sutherlandi proved to have 3 unsuspected rows of Naticalike
spots.

Color patterns are of taxonomic significance in many Recent species, and no
less so in fossils. However I cannot remember ever seeing reference to
color pattern in the description of a new fossil species, even when the
holotype almost certainly showed one (as with Surculites pahiensis and
"Zemacies" hamiltoni).

Has anyone out there worked out a good procedure for B&W UV photography?

Andrew