From:
Marlo Krisberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Aug 1999 21:05:16 -0700
Nora, you asked for feedback.  So, here's my concern over your premise and that of all those others
that proffer "faith" as an acceptable basis for a belief.  The American Heritage College dictionary
defines faith as "Belief that dose not rest on logical proof or material evidence."  The Newbury
House Dictionary of American English defines faith as "belief in a favorable result with no factual
proof."  Webster's New World College Dictionary defines faith as "Unquestioning belief that does not
require proof or evidence."  As you can see, the essential component of faith is belief without
evidence, factual proof or logic.  Here's some other definitions:  Prejudice - judgement without
knowledge or examination of the facts.  Irrational - lacking the power to  reason.  Bigot - one who
has strong, unreasonable beliefs about others.  Racism - prejudice based upon race.  AntiSemitism -
hostility or prejudice toward Jews.  Genocide (or today's euphemism, ethnic cleansing) - the
systematic extermination of an entire racial, political or ethnic group.

--
Marlo
Merritt Island, Florida