From:
Gary Rosenberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Aug 1999 14:56:14 -0400
>If it is a rare or obscure paper not readily available could you or
someone >kindly provide a photocopy.

I'll be happy to mail a copy of the paper to Doug, and anyone else on
Conch-L who requests a copy in the next few days. Maybe he and I will
debate it some more in private and report back if anything interesting
turns up. Personally I've learned a lot from the debate. It's forced me to
refine some of my concepts and pushed me to integrate some ideas. I've also
learned that some creationists know a lot about biology.

Those of you who've been on Conch-L for awhile know that I collect mollusk
quotations, but I also collect other kinds of quotations. I was browsing
them a few days ago, and was surprising how many were relevant to the
debate, even though I found most of them 10 to 20 years ago. None of them
are meant to be criticisms, and most of them cut both ways anyway.

I now introduce Professor Smullyan, who will prove to you that either he
doesn't exist or you don't exist, but you won't know which.
--What is the Name of this Book?, p. 201

I wouldn't have seen it if I hadn't believed it.
--Geologist's saying

No matter how hard you boil an egg, you can always smash a cigar box
with a hammer.

Objectivity is in the eye of the beholder.

One of the sure paths to the real future (because there is also a false
future) is to proceed in the direction of your fear.
--Milorad Pav, Dictionary of the Khazars, p. 92

Opinion is ultimately determined by the feelings and not by the intellect.
--Herbert Spencer

What a strange misconception has been taught to people....that one
cannot be disciplined enough to discover truth unless one is indifferent
to it....there is no point in looking for the truth unless what it is
makes a difference.
--K. C. Cole, Discover 4(12):54, 63

Theories pass.  The Frog remains.
--Jean Rostand, Notebooks of a Biologist

Regarding the way Conch-L keeps wandering "off" topic, and the pleas to
keep us focused (I've wandered and I've pled, so this also is not a
criticism):

Never try to teach a [flying] pig to sing.  It wastes your time and annoys
the pig.
--Psychology Today, May 1981, p. 17

So with that, I'm signing off the creation/evolution debate for awhile.

[Now you've done it!  You let the volcano go out!
--Johnny Hart, B.C., 8 January 1987]

Best wishes,
Gary

Gary Rosenberg, Ph.D.                     [log in to unmask]
Malacology & Invertebrate Paleontology    gopher://erato.acnatsci.org
Academy of Natural Sciences               http://www.acnatsci.org
1900 Benjamin Franklin Parkway            Phone 215-299-1033
Philadelphia, PA 19103-1195 USA           Fax   215-299-1170