From:
Helmut Nisters <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Aug 1999 13:30:10 PDT
Dear Thom,

in several parts of Germany I've heard that Dreissena polymorpha is
growing up in lots and are destroying the good conditions for Anodontas
and other molluscs and fishes. So groups of young helpers and people
are cleaning the Anodontas from this terrible host and reput them into
the waters.
with best greetings
Helmut from Innsbruck

Helmut Nisters
Franz-Fischer-Str. 46
A-6020 Innsbruck / Austria / Europe
phone and fax: 0043 / 512 / 57 32 14
e-mail: [log in to unmask]
url: www.netwing.at/nisters/

or

Natural History Department of the
Tiroler Landesmuseum Ferdinandeum Innsbruck
malacological collection
Feldstr. 11a
A-6020 Innsbruck / Austria / Europe
phone: 0043 / 512 / 58 72 86-37

----------
At 06:11 PM 8/29/99 -0400, you wrote:
>I'm surprised no one has commented on the following AP article.  Or did I
>miss something?  Has anyone anything else to add?  This is the first I've
>heard about the goby.
>sj
>------------------
>
>Fish muscles in on
>destructive mussel.
>
>Goby may be answer to Lake Erie invasion

The exotic round goby does indeed relish zebra and quagga mussels. However,
it also is displacing native fishes such as darters and sculpins. In some
areas of the North American Great Lakes it has become unbelievably
abundant. The answer to one exotic is not another exotic.

 G Thomas Watters
 Ohio Biological Survey &
 Aquatic Ecology Laboratory
 Ohio State University
 1315 Kinnear Road
 Columbus, OH 43212 USA
 v: 614-292-6170  f: 614-292-0181

"The world is my oyster except for months with an 'R' in them" - Firesign
Theater

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and he
has to buy a license" - GTW