From:
Date:
Tue, 31 Aug 1999 21:56:57 -0600
> Dear all, does anyone know if there is any rare Nerite species?
> In a small family like this, I am always eager to know if there are any
> rarities.
>
> Thanks,
> James

James,

Most nerites are certainly very common to common, but there are some that
are uncommon (Nerita textilis, Neritina longispinaI) and while I do not know
about rare, Neritina smithi is certainly close to that category.  This is
one I have yet to see on a list.  It is from India and may be locally
common, but it sure doesn't seem to make it to the dealer lists.  There are
also a number of color forms of different species that are few and far
between.

Last, about the deep water question.  I have an unknown nerite that was
taken by tangle nets in deep water off of Balicasag Island, Bohol,
Philippines.  I have another (can't remember the name but it is identified)
that was mislabeled (I'm almost certain) as coming from 80 fathoms.  If so,
it had probably been dropped overboard and subsequently recovered.  But the
unknown, deep water nerite came with a lot of unidentified nerites from the
Philippines.  All had very good data but the person who collected then knew
nothing about nerites.  All were personally collected by him except the
"deep water" nerite which was taken by the ubiquitous local fishermen with
tangle nets.  So who knows?  This family inhabits a very harsh and demanding
environment (intertidal) and have even taken up residence in brackish and
fresh waters -- so the deep water dweller may be in my shell drawer or
waiting to be found.  Everyone "knew" Cypraea cervus was a vegetarian until
Van and Alta Van Landingham had one that ate coquina clams like they were
going out of style.

Tom Eichhorst in New Mexico, USA