From:
Guido Poppe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Sep 1999 13:01:37 +0000
Hello Tom,

A couple of months ago, we got two Neritidae from over 300 m deep,
Balicasag. They look as Septaria, but have an operculum. Nothing in my
recent books (and older ones) showing the same species. They came up on a
stone with tangle nets.

The ones interested can get an image.  Ask for it on my private e-mail.

Guido

>>Last, about the deep water question.  I have an unknown nerite that was
>>taken by tangle nets in deep water off of Balicasag Island, Bohol,
>>Philippines.  I have another (can't remember the name but it is identified)
>>that was mislabeled (I'm almost certain) as coming from 80 fathoms.  If so,
>>it had probably been dropped overboard and subsequently recovered.  But the
>>unknown, deep water nerite came with a lot of unidentified nerites from the
>>Philippines.  All had very good data but the person who collected then knew
>>nothing about nerites.  All were personally collected by him except the
>>"deep water" nerite which was taken by the ubiquitous local fishermen with
>>tangle nets.  So who knows?  This family inhabits a very harsh and demanding
>>environment (intertidal) and have even taken up residence in brackish and
>>fresh waters -- so the deep water dweller may be in my shell drawer or
>>waiting to be found.  Everyone "knew" Cypraea cervus was a vegetarian until
>>Van and Alta Van Landingham had one that ate coquina clams like they were
>>going out of style.
>>
>>Tom Eichhorst in New Mexico, USA

Visit Conchology, with over 50000 names with author, 3800 indicated type
species, 5000 conchological images, and fun with shells.
http://www.conchology.uunethost.be/
For Information on A Conchological Iconography
http://www.conchology.uunethost.be/go/iconography/index.html