From:
Guido Poppe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Sep 1999 13:23:51 +0000
 Besides, there is a new book on Strombidae in
>preparation (at Conch Books, in the same new Iconographical series as the
>recent work on Harpidae). I do however hope that the one on Strombidae is
>better than the one on Harpidae.
>
>Gijs

Dear Gijs,

if you expect a "deepgoing review" of the family Strombidae, then you will
think again it is not a good work.  We are realising an Iconography, not a
review of the family. And the Harpidae are good in that; at least better
than anything done before on this matter. I do not remember having seen
another work figuring over 400 specimens in detail and top quality. And
also not another work easier for the determination of Harpidae. The
Strombidae are the same: over 1200 specimens shown, classic approach of
merely published but dispersed knowledge. The super overview of the family
with correct determinations. A revision of a family of more than 100 taxons
cannot be done in 6 months, not in Harpidae, not in Strombidae, and not in
most families with more than 10 species. Making a useful tool and a
splendid Iconography is in our reach; with lots of people and modern
techniques and that's exactly what we are doing.

Guido

Visit Conchology, with over 50000 names with author, 3800 indicated type
species, 5000 conchological images, and fun with shells.
http://www.conchology.uunethost.be/
For Information on A Conchological Iconography
http://www.conchology.uunethost.be/go/iconography/index.html