From:
"Samuel S. Tuttle" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Oct 1999 08:35:22 -0400
Although I understand the guidelines of deductions for giving to charitable
institutions, I encourage you to ask your accountant for the answer to your
question.  Make sure he/she is well-versed in the area first.  Whether the
deduction is beneficial upon your death or not depends a great deal on your
specific financial situation.  In fact, it may be better to donate the
collection before your demise.  The collection need not be moved to the
non-profit institution until after you die, but you can take advantage of
the tax break now (check with your accountant).

Larger institutions probably won't want your collection unless you offer
them some money, probably in the form on an endowment, which would be used
to move, enter and maintain the collection.  Then, the specimens will most
likely never be seen by the public, but will be reserved for occasional
scientific research.

I am now developing an alternative for individuals such as yourself.  I am
in the process of building a small museum in Delaware, with the intention of
hosting school classes for inspection.  I will be using drawers in stacks,
with a display case on the top of each stack.  I will be able to change the
display by alternating the drawers periodically.  The display will always be
"new".  I have not filed for the 501 C-3 status yet, as I am still preparing
the physical space for the museum, but when the IRS certification is
complete, one will be able to take the tax benefit, and also be sure that
their shells will be seen - and used to get young people interested in
conchology and the environment.

Selling your collection is certainly an alternative, but as you say, most
people would not understand the value (at least in terms of value).  You
need to decide whether you wish to keep the collection intact, or if you
will sell "pieces".  Of course, you could ask a dealer to handle the sale,
do it privately, or you might consider placing your collection on auction
(probably online).

BTW, I believe lots of collectors love "micros"!

Sam
Delaware, USA