From:
NORA BRYAN <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Oct 1999 20:15:44 -0600
At the risk of getting into something which I am ill-qualified to
discuss, I think the student's observation was that limpets were MORE
conical, rather than less conical in the high-energy zone (rocks at high
tide level).  This was opposite to what the students expected, probably
based on the reasoning you cite.
I am guessing that all limpets, conical or flat are fairly resistant to
wave action since they are all more or less small and round and have
exceedingly strong muscles - even the conical ones have more than
sufficient mechanical strength (guessing again here). Possibly flatness
is more of an advantage from a predation point of view, less able to be
pried off by a beak or a claw, although all limpets are pretty darn
tough to dislodge.
The limpets (Colisella pelta ?) that I observed just a few days ago
right at the extreme high tide line (almost at the level of the road)
were nearly as high as they were wide and half as high as long.
So why are the conical ones higher on the rocks?  The danger from
overheating might be more of a risk than the danger of being pried off.
Just my guess.