From:
Peter Egerton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Oct 1999 03:22:10 -0700
These are some of the books I use:

"Marine Invertebrates of the Pacific Northwest"
(Eurgene N. Kosloff) 1987, but there's a newer edition
University of Washington Press
-Fantastic key to molluscs, with photos.
-He lists most of our species down to 300m in the keys,
with photos of most, then lists all(?) our species
that are related but not keyed out.
-This is my main guide. VERY GOOD.

"Seashore Life of the Northern Pacific Coast"
(Eugene N. Kozloff) 1973, 1983 University of Washington press.
-great all-around sea life guide. Mostly for
intertidal...gives loads of information on environment and
lifestyle, etc.

"Shells and Shellfish of the Pacific Northwest"
(Rick M. Harbo)Harbour Publishing, 1997
-A great new book with lots of photos.

"Intertidal Invertebrates of California"
(Morris, D.P.Abbott, Haderlie) 1980 Stanford University Press
-A big BIG book, fantastic for on the coffeetable.
-Great for California, but also somewhat for BC.
-Very good photos

"A Field Guide to Pacific Coast Shells"
Peterson Field Guide
(Percy A. Morris) 1966
-a bit old, but good still

I hope this helps...Try to get the Kozloff if nothing else.

>Peter
>Do you know if there is a list or book that has a comprehensive listing of BC
>molluscs, or even a list of introduced mollucs.  I am IDing my shells using
>American Seashells and the Audubon Guide.  There don't seem to be that many
>molluscs as compared to the east coast, and a shell that is really different
>(such as the Nuttalia) won't be confused with a native species, but I am
>concerned that I might misidentify some of the small shells (micros) if an
>introduced species looks similar to an introduced one.
>
>Nora
>Calgary, Alberta

Peter Egerton, Vancouver, Canada
Collector of worldwide Mollusca