From:
NORA BRYAN <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Oct 1999 16:27:10 -0600
Nice summary Paul
A further note on polar bears - their fur is actually translucent and hollow
like a straw.  Their skin is black!  The combination is a strategy to gather
warmth from the sun. This is not really shell-related, I guess (at least they
swim a lot in the ocean so it's sort of ocean-related, and shells are in oceans
too, so that's my pathetic link to being shell-related).

Nora (natural history fan, lacking a bit..OK a lot  in the shell department)
Calgary, Alberta