From:
Aydin Orstan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Oct 1999 13:34:00 -0400
John,
How can you tell if a shell was painted or not with a phosphorescent pigment
by looking at its picture? If I were to make a shell glow in the dark, I'd use
a phosphorescent ("glow-in-the-dark") nail polish, which are commonly sold.
Nail polishes dissolve in acetone. So, a simple test would be to clean a part
of the shell with acetone & then to see if that part glew less intensely than
the rest. You need to convince the owner to do this, though.

A.