From:
NORA BRYAN <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 31 Oct 1999 14:58:37 -0700
Maybe having one of something shows intelligent restraint (grin).  I have an
embedded defect that kicks in when I get two of something (not counting shoes
and gloves and things like that).  This always leads me to think I have a
"collection" which makes me want more of them and learn more about them, which
makes me read or even buy books on the topic.  Pretty soon a hobby has
started.... so besides a hodge-podge (but lovingly maintained) shell
collection, I have a groaning table full of cacti, and worse - 3 orchids
(that's more than two) so I had to join the orchid society to learn about them
- but I haven't bought a book (well, only a little one) on orchids yet.  I also
have 3 cats - but in that case they picked me, so they don't really count as a
collection (even though I do have books on cats).
I prefer to justify myself by claiming to be an eccentric.  I sure don't try
and impress my colleagues at work and most of my friends with this type of
thing - which is why I'm so grateful for the previlege of being able to
converse with people like you on Conch-L!

Nora
Calgary, Alberta

P.S. Is it true that Tucker Abbott did not collect shells?