From:
NORA BRYAN <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Nov 1999 10:19:06 -0700
If the green is indeed the chlorophyll from the algae then for sure you
cannot bring the colour back.  Chlorophyll fades if it is not in the
light.  From my knowledge of plants I know that once a leaf yellows
because of lack of light, that leaf cannot be made green again even if
returned to adequate sunlight.
What I don't know is the chemical mechanism -  why does chlorophyll lose
it's green colour?  I suspect it breaks down into something else.
A neat fact - the chlorophyll molecule is eerily like a haemoglobin
molecule except that while haemoglobin has iron at it's centre,
chlorophyll has magnesium.

Nora Bryan
Calgary, Alberta