From:
Dennis Nieweg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Nov 1999 10:33:12 +0100
Hi Barbara,
Don't worry there are enough younger people out there busy with shells.
a 30 year old guy.

At 20:07 22-11-99 -0500, you wrote:
>Barbara-
>Welcome to the group! First, let me say that I have also noted the
diminishing of collectors for more reasons than just age. Many collecting
areas have closed, people have less time with all the time saving devices to
make life easier! But those of us bitten early, usually remain smitten for
life! And someday your grandchild may say to you what mine recently said to
me....."Nana, when I'm 12, will you take me diving in the ocean for shells?"
In the meantime, if you want to see young collectors coming up behind, get
out and get them going yourself! In the USA, there is an organizaation
called 4-H, which is loosely like scouting, and in many areas encourages
kids to get involved with marine persuits of all kinds. They always need
leaders! Look around, maybe you could help out at a local nature center or
museum which has displays on sealife or shells, act as an "interpeter" or
"guide". You get the idea.
>I hope my being 50 isn't too old for you! About 20 years ago I had a
trading partner from NZ. He was a most interesting man who had been a
fighter pilot in WWII and was shot down more than once. He may have been
half a world away, when there was only snail mail, no pun, but what a
friend! I still miss him. If I can I wouldn't mind returning the favor and
if you ever want someone to trade with, let me know. Good shelling!  Karen

New Zealand. I have had an obsession with shells since I was about 9 or 10
years old, and accumulated quite a decent collection for a youngster up
until I married 15 years ago. My husband is french, and he wisked me off to
France to live. Being poor, young and impetuous I sold my collection,
thinking that it would not travel well and we could use the money. I will
regret it as long as I live. We ended up returning to settle in NZ a year later.
>    Since then I have not had much time or money to put into another
collection. For a long time I was so emotional about my lost colleciton I
felt that I could never replace it, so I avoided starting up again.
>    Then about 18 months ago my sister unearthed a box of shells I had
given her years ago. They were spares from my old collection. At the time
she fancied that she might start a collection too, but never carried on.
>    That was it- I was off again and with more passion than ever. My
collection is still very modest and amateurish, but I am in there for the
long haul this time. My youngest daughter has begun to take an interest, so
I hope it will continue into the next generation.
>    I have since discovered that almost all the dealers here in NZ have
disappeared. Shell collectors are litterally a dying breed. Most other
collectors here are elderly people. Is there anyone out there under 40?
>    I enjoy surfing the net. There seems to be quite a lot of interesting
shell stuff to be found. I have yet to find a good site to identify shells
with photos. I haven't yet acquired enough books to be able to match
pictures with names of everything I learn about or come across.
>    Well, I look forward to learning from all you seasoned collectors.
Happy shelling. Regards, Barbara.
><!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD W3 HTML//EN">
><HTML>
><HEAD>
>
><META content=text/html;charset=iso-8859-1
http-equiv=Content-Type><!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0
Transitional//EN">
><META content='"MSHTML 4.72.3110.7"' name=GENERATOR>
><STYLE></STYLE>
>
></HEAD>
><BODY bgColor=#ffffff>
><DIV><FONT color=#000000 size=2>Barbara-</FONT></DIV>
><DIV><FONT color=#000000 size=2></FONT><FONT size=2>Welcome to the group!
First,
>let me say that I have also noted the diminishing of collectors for more
reasons
>than just age. Many collecting areas have closed, people have less time
with all
>the time saving devices to make life easier! But those of us bitten early,
>usually remain smitten for life! And someday your grandchild may say to you
what
>mine recently said to me.....&quot;Nana, when I'm 12, will you take me
diving in
>the ocean for shells?&quot;&nbsp; In the meantime, if you want to see young
>collectors coming up behind, get out and get them going yourself! In the USA,
>there is an organizaation called 4-H, which is loosely like scouting, and in
>many areas encourages kids to get involved with marine persuits of all kinds.
>They always need leaders! Look around, maybe you could help out at a local
>nature center or museum which has displays on sealife or shells, act as an
>&quot;interpeter&quot; or &quot;guide&quot;. You get the idea.</FONT></DIV>
><DIV><FONT size=2>I hope my being 50 isn't too old for you! About 20 years
ago I
>had a trading partner from NZ. He was a most interesting man who had been a
>fighter pilot in WWII and was shot down more than once. He may have been
half a
>world away, when there was only snail mail, no pun, but what a friend! I still
>miss him. If I can I wouldn't mind returning the favor and if you ever want
>someone to trade with, let me know. Good shelling!&nbsp; Karen </FONT></DIV>
><BLOCKQUOTE
>style="BORDER-LEFT: #000000 solid 2px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">
>    <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2><B>-----Original Message-----</B><BR><B>From:
>    </B>Barbara Jouvernaux &lt;<A
>    href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]</A>&gt;<BR><B>To:
</B><A