Date:
Tue, 29 Jan 2019 23:36:33 -0500
Subject:
Sender:
Conchologists List <[log in to unmask]>
From:
Douglas Stemke <[log in to unmask]>
Hello Everyone.

I will be team-teaching a May-term travel course (2020) to South Africa (Kruger) and should have a week's free time to travel by myself.  As I've long wanted to explore the famous beaches of South Africa for shelling and I wanted to check with those that have had the opportunity to do so themselves.  I am generally more interested in shells from the South African marine province than Indo Pacific as I have never had the chance to shell this region.  Jeffrey's Bay naturally comes to mind as do Port Elizabeth, but are these really the best places?   Are there locations with smaller crowds?  Are there are local features that are better places than others to search?     I'd appreciate any advise people who have had the chance to shell there. Also are there local laws I need to know about for shelling in South Africa or taking beach shells (fishing licenses, etc.).

Please feel free to email me privately if you wish.

Thank you!

Doug