Sender:
From:
David Kirsh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Aug 2009 01:08:38 -0400
Thanks, Andrew. It's encouraging to think of snails having more than rudimentary vision. I had only come across one webpage on this http://www.applesnail.net/content/anatomy/senses.php -- admittedly not a terrestrial snail example, but with reasonably recent references.

Wouldn't the visual discrimination of a snail depend to a large extent on its nervous system outside the eyes themselves? Maybe there have been some experiments with snail neurons.

Say, where's Aydin? He might have some experience with landsnails doing behaviors that seem odd to humans.

David Kirsh
Durham, NC