From:
NORA BRYAN <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Dec 1999 08:17:21 -0700
For you guys that have actually SEEN most of the shells on this planet and
understand the minutiae of their differences, yes this would be a daunting task
to get into the nitty gritty, but what about beginner or intermediate
collectors who have 'seen' most shells on this planet only by description or
tiny little photos?  We could really benefit from some information that might
seem too easy for you experts.  For example, when I was just starting out, I
had a hard time telling strombids from other similar shaped shells until I
realized the strombids have a stromboid notch.  Too stupid to mention?   That's
a very basic one but there are others a little tougher,  but still simple for
experts. I still have a hard time telling some turbans from trochids.  Maybe
the distinction lies in the habits or in the soft part of the animal, so having
just the shell isn't helpful, but I don't know. Also, telling juveniles from
mature specimens can be really tough, especially because there are so few
pictures in general guides.
How do others feel - would a beginner to intermediate guide be helpful?  With a
foundation like that, a more detailed expert level could then be layered on
top.

Nora
Calgary, Alberta
CANADA